Friday, July 18, 2008

When Did This Happen?

* When did "invite" become a noun? Are we so starved for time that four-syllable words have become too arduous? Warning: I will not respond when you ask me if I've received your "invite".

* When did "irregardless" stop causing offense? The prefix means "not"; the suffix, "without". The negation leads to "regard". Double negatives are bad enough. It is quite a trick to jam one into a single word. This crime of inclusion is oddly antonymous to the "invite" problem.

* When did "bad boy chefs" become popular? Perhaps the pertinent question is why? If your idea of a fun evening is watching a sweating, adenoidal jerk shriek "not enough basil!" then by all means, have at it. I, however, don't really need "edge" with my pancakes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! Finally someone is brave enough to step up and call us what we are...

Chef Gordon

Anonymous said...

No sarcasm with your salmon? No abuse with your angel hair? I maintain, however, that "bad boy chefs" are less offensive than overly perky ones. You know, the ones who coin their own acronyms like "EVOO." Make up words like "yummo!" Get their own talk shows...

(Although I confess, Gordon Ramsey's act has gotten pretty old.)

Anonymous said...

do you tribute to the world to it?