Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Book of The Year Is...

Standing Still, by Kelly Simmons.

This psychologically rich, achingly beautiful first novel is both a deeply satisfying meditation on crime, truth, matrimony and motherhood and a top-notch kidnapping thriller. Turn to any page and try not to find a moment of personal recogntion, crystallized in creamy prose. I dare you -- I double dare you -- to call this "chick lit."

I will avoid a story overview with the intense hope that you discover every ingenious machination of structure for yourself. Ms. Simmons writes with what can only be described as forensic elegance. Indeed, she could really teach the current crop of celebrated post-modern novelists a thing or two about narrative propulsion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have piqued my interest in this novel and I will pick it up to be sure. But what exactly is achingly beautiful? Do you mean teeth itching aching or more like stabbing pain aching?