Sunday, August 3, 2008

White Collar Vulgarity


“Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.”
-- Eric Hoffer (1902 – 1983), American Writer and Social Critic

Could it be that the prescient Mr. Hoffer saw clearly to the BlackBerry era?

My job as an ad agency Creative Director requires at least five live client presentations every month. Each one is the culmination of weeks of research, dozens of speculative designs, thousands of miles of cramped flights and countless forlorn nights in express hotels. But the theatricality of the show itself – the buzz of performance, the excitement of my audience, the knowledge that what I've crafted has genuinely resonated – fully trumps the foregoing discomfort.

Then it happens. One of the executives to whom I'm presenting casually unclips his or her digital brick, stares down and engages in the familiar thumb gyrations.

I’ll leave it to others to decry our social transition from tête-à-tête to tap-tap-tap. Mine is a more specific argument. I fully acknowledge that the BlackBerry (one of which I own, so don’t paint me as some digital-averse freak) is a remarkable tool, at once serving all inbound/outbound communication and entertainment needs. But its use in the aforementioned scenario is vulgar beyond compare. Worse still, it appears to be increasingly accepted as “the way business is today.” Is one hour of undivided attention too much to ask? Has the need to appear important overtaken basic civility?

Enough is enough.

The next time a busier-than-thou jerk looks down at their BlackBerry while you are presenting (or merely speaking in a smaller setting) I suggest three potential steps to forever eradicate their rudeness:

1) Without breaking your verbal stride, approach the offending party and stare directly at them.
2) If that doesn’t rouse them from their device torpor, stop talking altogether and see how long it takes for the silence to work its awkward magic.
3) If that still doesn’t do the trick, say the following in the most sickly polite manner: “I’m terribly sorry that our presentation has gotten in the way of your critical e-mail. Please let us know when you’ve finished and we’ll happily continue.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post - and I couldn't agree more. I recently read about the "crossword puzzle rule" as it applied to text messaging (the purely social, but equally sinister, cousin of "Blackberrying") - if you wouldn't pull out a crossword puzzle and start to solve it in a given situation, then you shouldn't text or check e-mails on your Blackberry...

Of course, I've always found the following to be effective: when someone (like, say, my husband) pays more attention to his electronica than to me when I'm trying to tell him an important story, I simply end my sentence with the phrase "and then the sheep caught fire..." in the exact same tone of voice... his reaction (if any) lets me know if he's been listening, and also puts him on notice that perhaps he should put down his oh-so-captivating Palm Pilot for 5 minutes and actually TALK to his Luddite wife!

Anonymous said...

I can (and do) buy Matt's point of view that presentation BB'ing is beyond rude, but let's not leap to the conclusion that it is equivalent to ignoring your wife.

Anonymous said...

If husbands couldn't learn to ignore/tune out their wives within the first 6 to 12 months of marriage, I think the divorce rate would be 99.9%. As CJ says to his girlfriend (repeatedly) in GTA San Andreas, "This is just soooooo interesting. I'm just gonna sit here and listen."

But then you have to graduate to the next level, which is the ability to tune out your wife and still REPEAT EXACTLY WHAT SHE HAS JUST SAID, WORD FOR WORD, when she claims you haven't been listening. It's an acquired skill, but an indispensable one--and could fry the pre-frontal lobes of the newly married.